|The town of Holly Pond derives its name from
a naturally occurring pond that was located in the heart of
the town. The pond was fed by an underground spring that supplied
fresh water for wildlife and travelers throughout the year.
An impressive feature of the pond was the large American Holly
trees that grew around the entire site. Early travelers and
hunters would often camp at the location which was simply
referred to as the holly pond.
The earliest road through the area was from Blountsville,
the county seat of Blount County, to the town of Somerville,
in Morgan County, where the Federal Courthouse was located.
It appears that a stagecoach route had been established
using this road as early as 1835. The road came from Blountsville
to the holly pond, then turned northwest toward Somerville.
Much of this old road route is still in use today. The first
of the East / West roads in the area ran from Brooksville
to the Mace Thomas Payne Brindley Place near Simcoe. This
road passed just North of here, intersecting with the Blountsville
- Somerville Road. By 1884 a town had begun to develop around
the holly pond, as a general store had been built and stocked
with necessary staple items, as well as cloth and thread.
In 1886 a school was in operation, and a Baptist and Methodist
Church had been established. All of these were identified
as being located at Holly Pond. In 1888 the U.S. Postal
Service approved a post office in the name of Holly Pond.
The following year, 1889, the town of Holly Pond first appeared
on local and state maps.
By 1896, Holly Pond had become a thriving community with
five stores, a post office, a blacksmith's shop, a sawmill,
a gristmill, and a cotton gin. The town had two doctors,
two preachers, two churches and a literary school with an
enrollment of over one hundred pupils. That same year, an
attempt was made to incorporate the town but, according
to a newspaper account, the move did vote to incorporate.
A mayor and council were elected and a town marshal was
hired. About two years later, the town voted to unincorporate.
In 1912, the town voted again to incorporate and has remained
an incorporated municipality since that time.